How good is pulled pork? It’s even better when it’s made with Hov’s Kitchens Chipotle BBQ Sauce. The smokiness from our homemade chipotle’s, the BBQ flavour all mixed through an 8 hour slow cooked pork. Then put together to make the Chipotle Pulled Pork Roll.
This is not a quick and easy dish, well it is easy but it takes around 8 1/2 hours all up. You can always pop it in the slow cooker before you head off to work and by the time you get home, it will be ready to ensemble.
This recipe made 8 rolls and had enough left overs to freeze for another slow cooked pork dinner to feed a family of 4. In my roll I added the pork rind crackling (not pictured) but adding the crackle to the roll just tops it off. YUM. I swear, I could eat the whole of the crackling just to myself but unfortunately I had to share it with the kids haha ..
Let’s make Chipotle Pulled Pork
First with a very sharp knife, cut the rind off the pork shoulder and set it aside for now, put it back in the fridge uncovered.
Slice the onion and spray the bottom of the slow cooker with spray oil – lay the sliced onion on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Using half a bottle of Hov’s Kitchen Chipotle BBQ Sauce, massage with clean hands into the pork shoulder. Then lay it upon the sliced onions in the slow cooker.
Turn the slow cooker on and walk away for 8 hours. You don’t need to add liquid as the pork will make it’s own in the cooking process.
If you want pork crackle at the same time as the pulled pork, around 6 hours into the cooking process, get the pork rind out of the fridge.
Perfect Pork Crackling
Leaving the rind uncovered in the fridge for hours should have taken most of the moisture out of it. When you take it out, pat dry it with a paper towel. The dryer the rind, the better the crackle.
With a very sharp knife, score the rind being careful not to go all the way through. Turn the oven on high around 225C. Massage the salt into the slits and all over the rind, then massage olive oil onto the rind also.
Pop it into the oven on a tray lined with baking paper. Leave to “crackle” for around 40 minutes. Check on it after about 30 minutes. Take it out when it has crackled and try not to eat all of it before serving dinner. 😀
Let’s put this baby together.
After 8 hours, take the pork out of the slow cooker and put it on a large board. With two forks start “pulling it apart” After cooking for so long, it will be easy to do as it will practically just fall apart.
Add the rest of Hov’s Kitchen Chipotle BBQ Sauce to the pulled pork and make sure it’s mixed in thoroughly.
Cut your rolls in half and spread some butter on them, put them on a hot pan and press down with something heavy just until they are ‘toasted’ or you can also put them under the grill for a few minutes to get the same result.
Add some coleslaw to the toasted rolls, top with cheese and pile on the Chipotle Pulled Pork. (Also you can add the crackle to the roll too!)
Serve and enjoy 🙂
Chipotle Pulled Pork Rolls
- Slow Cooker
- 3 kg Pork Shoulder
- 1 Large Brown Onion Sliced
- 1 Bottle Hov's Kitchen Chipotle Sauce
- 8 Bread Rolls
- 1 bag Coleslaw Or make your own coleslaw
- 8 Slices Cheese of your choice
- 3 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- Cut the top layer of fat off the pork, lay out on a board and pat dry with paper towel, then put it in the fridge uncovered for 5 hours.
- Slice one large onion and lay across the bottom of your slow cooker
- Use half a cup of Hov's Kitchens Chipotle sauce and massage into the pork shoulder.
- Lay the pork on top of the onions and put the slow cooker on for 8 hours. (You don't need liquid, the pork will make its own during the cooking process)
- Turn the oven on to 225C
- Get the pork fat out of the fridge that you put in earlier. Pat dry again with a paper towel. With a very sharp knife make slits in the fat. Massage the salt into the pork fat well and then massage the oil over it too.
- On a tray covered in baking paper, lay the pork fat on top and put into the hot oven. Leave for around 40 minutes.
Pulled Pork Rolls
- Take the pork out of the slow cooker after 8 hours and put on a large board. With two forks start pulling it apart. Add the rest of Hov's Kitchen Chipotle Sauce to the pork as you are pulling it apart.
- Cut the rolls in half and spread some butter on them. In a hot pan with a bit of oil, add the buns until they are crisp. Or you can put them under the grill for a few minutes.
- On a separate board, add the toasted buns. Add coleslaw, cheese and then pile with the pulled pork. Put the bun lid on and it's ready to serve.