Crunchy Chipotle Baked Chicken gets that crunch without having to deep fry. It’s a lot healthier than saturating it in oil and tastes just as good, if not better!
This dish gives off a little bit of heat from the Chipotle but not enough to blow your head off and the heat is quite mild once combined with the buttermilk. The kids will be able to eat this easily. You have that delicious smoky taste from the chipotle sauce and the nice balance of herbs and spices from the mixture.
I soaked the chicken in the buttermilk and Hov’s Kitchens BBQ Chipotle Sauce for 4 hours. However, if you don’t have time to do that, just soak for at least 20 minutes in the fridge.
Let’s make some Crunchy Chipotle Baked Chicken.
If you do not have buttermilk, it’s easy to make your own. Add 1 teaspoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let it sit for a few minutes.
Combine your buttermilk and Hov’s Kitchens Chipotle BBQ Sauce and pour over the chicken. Make sure all the chicken is coated. Put some cling wrap over the bowl and pop it into the fridge for at least 20 minutes – but 4 hours would be better.
In a large bowl, combine all your dry ingredients. Panko breadcrumbs, Crushed corn flakes, salt, peppers, garlic powder, harissa, mustard powder, paprika, baking powder and the turmeric. Mix it thoroughly with a fork.
Turn the oven onto 200C or 180C fan. Line a large baking tray with baking paper and put the tray in the oven for 15 minutes to heat the tray.
When you take the tray out of the oven, pour the melted butter over the baking paper. Then with one hand, coat each piece of chicken in the seasoning mix and lay onto the heated tray.
Bake for 15 minutes, then take it out and turn over the chicken drumsticks and bake for a further 12 minutes.
Serve with Hov’s Kitchens Chipotle BBQ Sauce and a side of salad or hot chips. Or, they are good enough on their own.
Crunchy Chipotle Baked Chicken
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Hov's Kitchens Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 12 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Crushed Corn Flakes
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Ground Harissa
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 cup Melted butter
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk and Hov's Kitchens Chipotle BBQ sauce over. Mix it well so the chicken is covered. Place some cling wrap over the bowl and put into the fridge for around 4 hours.If you don't have time, put it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl – add the panko breadcrumbs, crushed corn flakes, white pepper, black pepper, salt, Harissa, garlic powder, mustard powder, paprika, turmeric and the baking powder. With a fork give it a good mix so it's all thoroughly combined.
- Turn the oven on to 200C or 180C fan forced.
- Line a large baking dish with baking paper and put in the oven for 15 minutes to heat the tray.
- Pour the melted butter onto the heated tray and coat each chicken drumstick with the seasoning and lay on the heated tray. Make sure the are spread apart so they bake and not steam.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then take out and turn them over and bake for a further 12 minutes.
- Serve with Hov's Kitchens Chipotle BBQ Sauce and a nice salad or a side of hot chips.