How good are baked meatballs in a garden vegetable tomato based sauce? They are tomatoee, cheesy, meaty, gooey goodness. They are also gluten free and contain no breadcrumbs or flour.
I used onion and garlic in the meatballs, so didn’t need it again in the sauce. This recipe is also gluten free, there is no breadcrumbs or flour in the meatballs. It isn’t needed and they don’t fall apart without those ingredients if using a non stick pan to brown them before they go into the oven.
I served my meatballs with a small salad on the side but for the kids I made them meatball subs. It went down a treat because they ate it all and my son had 2!
I also just used shredded cheese for this as it’s what I had in the fridge at the time, but feel free to use mozzarella balls instead. Either way, this is still a hearty, delicious meal.
Meatballs are an easy inexpensive meal. You can use beef, pork, chicken, turkey or lamb. I made this a gluten free dish, but feel free to add half a cup of breadcrumbs to the mix if you prefer.
Some little meatball facts ..
Some little facts about meatballs, they aren’t entirely an Italian dish. Almost all parts of the world have their own version of the meatball. You’ve probably had the Swedish meatballs when you have visited Ikea before! Adding meatballs to spaghetti was an American thing that quickly took on to other Countries.
You can eat meatballs on their own, in a sub, on pizza or with pasta. You can put them on a stick and make Kofta and have them with rice. They are so versatile and easy to make.
Baked Meatballs in Hov’s Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 500 grams beef mince or pork mince
- 1 brown onion chopped finely
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped basil
- 1 jar Hov's Garden Vegetable Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- Turn the oven on to 200C
- In a large bowl, add the mince, egg, garlic, onion, cheese, salt and pepper and basil
- With your hands combine the mixture and form 14 meatballs
- In a non-stick fry pan – fry the meatballs until they brown and put into a heatproof dish for the oven
- Add Hov's Garden Vegetable sauce over the meatballs, more shredded cheese and pop into the oven
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve with garlic bread or pasta or in a sub.