This delicious, easy Hungarian dish is so simple to make even an inexperienced cook can make this. Káposztás Tészta consists of cabbage, egg noodles, crispy bacon, a few spices and of course I add Hov’s Kitchen’s Chilli Oil to give it a bit of zing!
My family ate this a lot growing up, my Hungarian poppy (whom I lived with) made this dish all the time. I had no idea what it was called, nor did I care! I just knew this was comfort food and I always wanted seconds.
So what is Káposztás Tészta?
Káposztás Tészta is pronounced Ka-pos-tash Tes-ta. It’s a traditional Hungarian dish made with egg noodles, butter and cabbage basically. Cabbage and noodles is a popular dish throughout Eastern Europe. In Poland it’s called Haluski. This dish is usually made with homemade dough, but I didn’t have time for that so I used Papperdelle.
Traditionally, no bacon, paprika, chilli oil or caraway seeds were used in this dish. It was just cabbage, butter and homemade pasta. I wanted a bit of oomph in this dish, so it’s not “authentic” but these days, don’t we all give a bit of a boost to our ancestor’s recipe’s? I sure do!
Let’s make some Káposztás Tészta
Cook the egg noodles to the directions on the packet. Drain and set aside. Whilst, the noodles are cooking get out the old steamer and add the onions and cabbage and put some salt and pepper on it. Steam for about 15 minutes. Set Aside.
In a small bowl combine the paprika, caraway seeds and a bit more salt and pepper with 1 Tbsp of Hov’s Kitchen’s Chilli Oil.
In a large skillet, add a bit of olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter – once the skillet is hot add the chopped bacon and fry until almost crispy. Then add the garlic and the spices/chilli oil mix.
Add the rest of the butter and give it a good stir, then add the cabbage and onions and saute until it starts to brown a little. Then add the pasta and mix thoroughly through. Keep it on low heat for about 10 minutes and make sure you keep mixing it so it doesn’t burn.
Serve as a side dish or on it’s own. Tastes great with a dollop of sour cream on top too!
Káposztás Tészta (Hungarian cabbage and egg noodles)
- 375 g Pappardelle Pasta (Egg Noodles)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large Onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 large green cabbage shredded
- 6 slices bacon chopped bite size
- 1 tbsp Hov's Kitchen's Chilli Oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Steam the onion and shredded cabbage with salt and pepper for around 15 minutes.
- Whilst the cabbage and onion are steaming, cook the egg noodles according to the directions on the packet. Then drain. Set aside.
- In a large skillet add 1 tbs of butter and fry the bacon until almost crispy, then add the garlic. Give it a good stir. Add Hov's Kitchen's Chilli Oil if you want a bit of kick to the dish.
- Add the drained cabbage and onion and mix well. Then add the caraway seeds, paprika and more salt and pepper.
- Add the rest of the butter and finally add the cooked egg noodles to the dish. Make sure everything is well combined and mixed through.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream