It’s Meatless Monday! It’s also now the middle of Winter and it’s bloody cold! Roasted Eggplant with a Chilli tahini Dressing is a great winter warmer meal on it’s own or as a side dish.
Eggplant is probably my favourite vegetable, I love it in everything. There are many ways to cook it. (You must try sliced eggplant cooked in the pan with chilli jam . YUM)
Not everyone in my household shares my passion for eggplant unfortunately, mostly my children. So Meatless Monday today will be shared with just myself and the hubs.
Eggplant absorbs everything, it’s like a sponge which is part of the reason why we salt it before we roast it, otherwise the oven will steam it more than roast it. However, if you are in a rush for dinner or really hungry, feel free to skip salting the eggplant and just put the eggplants straight in the oven.
Let’s make Roasted Eggplant with Chilli Tahini Dressing ..
Get two large Eggplants and cut the stems off. Then slice down the middle lengthwise. Place the eggplants on a wire rack over some baking paper. Sprinkle salt over the eggplants and let them sit there for around 30 minutes.
Whilst you are waiting for the eggplants, feel free to make the Tahini chilli dressing. In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup of tahini and 1 tbsp of Hov’s Kitchen Chilli Oil and mix together. Cover with glad wrap and pop in the fridge for the time being.
Once the eggplants have been salted for 30 minutes, rinse them off with cool water and dry them with paper towels.
Place some baking paper on a large baking tray and place the eggplants down. Brush them with oil and sprinkle on the Harissa and paprika. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn them over and bake for a further 10-15 minutes.
Once they are done, let them cool for around 5 minutes, then pour the Chilli Tahini Dressing over the eggplants. Top with the chopped tomatoes, jalapeno’s and basil.
I also roasted whole onions and garlic to go as a side dish as we were having this as our main meal. Absolutely delicious and also the added bonus of being healthy.
Roasted Eggplant with Chilli Tahini Dressing
- 2 Large Eggplants sliced in half length ways
- 4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp paprika
- 4 tsp ground harissa
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp Hov's Kitchen Chilli Oil
- 4 Roma Tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 bunch basil finely chopped
- 2 Jalapeno's finely chopped
- Cut the stems off the eggplant and slice in half length ways.
- Turn the oven onto 200C
- Lay the eggplant on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Sprinkle each side of the eggplants with the salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, rinse the eggplants with cool water and dry with a paper towel.
- Transfer the eggplant to a baking sheet and spread out. Brush the eggplants with oil and sprinkle on the paprika and Harissa.
- Roast the eggplant for 20 minutes. Flip and roast until golden about another 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Tahini and the chilli oil. In another small bowl, add the chopped tomatoes and Jalapeno's.
- Once the eggplants have roasted, let them cool for around 5 minutes.
- Then top the eggplants with the Tahini chilli dressing, add the chopped tomatoes and jalapeno's on top and sprinkle with the chopped basil.