That time of the week again – Yes, meatless Monday. My husband loves Monday’s, it means I cook for him. I usually don’t cook for him a lot because he is vegan and with making products for our store and cooking the kids and myself dinner, I usually don’t have time to make a vegan meal on top of that. However, Monday’s, we are meat free and that means husband gets dinner made by me! These smashed potatoes with chilli pickled onions are jam packed full of flavour and delicious.
Easy to make and yummy, everyone will dig into them. When topped with the chilli pickled onions it just makes the dish that much more delicious.
These Smashed Potatoes with Hov’s Kitchens Chilli Pickled Onions are great just on their own or accompanied as a side dish to vegan sausages, vegan patties. If you aren’t going for the meatless Monday, they also go great as a side dish to steak, chicken, fish, pork – anything that calls for potato really!
Let’s make Smashed Potatoes …
You will need around 1kg of potatoes, not peeled or chopped. Just put them straight into a pot of cold water just covering the potatoes with a dash of salt. Bring to the boil and let it boil for around 20 minutes or until you can put a fork into the potato easily.
Whilst the potatoes are boiling away, get the marinade ready. In a large bowl add 1/4 of the chopped coriander (You can add basil if you don’t like coriander) 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley, 3 tbsp of olive oil, minced garlic, paprika, cumin, turmeric and salt/pepper and mix well.
Once the potatoes are ready to rock, turn the oven on to 200C and drain the potatoes. Add them to the marinade and with clean hands toss around to coat the potatoes well.
On a large tray covered with baking paper, add the potatoes. With a fork, firmly smash each potato. Then pop into the oven for around 50 minutes.
In the meantime, stir together the lemon juice, remaining coriander (or basil), parsley and oil. On a clean chopping board take a few of Hov’s Kitchens Chilli Pickled Onions and thinly slice. I use the chilli pickled onions to give the potatoes a bit of kick, but if you don’t like chilli just use Hov’s Kitchens Pickled Onions which are chilli free but still delicious.
Once the potatoes have roasted, pour over the lemon juice mix and top with sliced Pickled onions. 🙂
Smashed Potatoes with Chilli Pickled Onions
- 1 kg Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup Chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves Minced
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 1 tsp Turmeric ground
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 whole Hov's Kitchen Chilli Pickled Onions
- Turn the oven on to 200C
- Put whole potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water and add a bit of salt. Boil for around 20 minutes or until a fork slides easily into them.
- In a large bowl – mix 1/4 of the coriander, 2 tbs of the parsley, 3 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, paprika, cumin, turmeric and salt.
- Once the potatoes have cooked until tender, drain and then add them to the bowl with the coriander mix. With clean hands toss around to coat the potatoes.
- On a large tray covered with baking paper add the potatoes. With a fork gently smash the potatoes. Bake for around 50 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl mix the lemon juice, remaining coriander, parsley and oil. Pour over the roasted potatoes.
- Add Hov's Kitchen sliced pickled onions on top of the potatoes and serve.