It’s meatless Monday! I wanted something that was easy yet delicious and healthy. I came up with my own version of lentil patties. Using Hov’s Kitchen Beetroot Relish, sweet potatoes and lentils.
I made these this morning for dinner tonight, my daughter hates beetroot. Once these babies were cooked, I offered her a couple for lunch without telling her what was in it.. Haha yes I’m sneaky but hey! I worked cooking kids meals for over 5 years, I never disclosed how much vegetables was in their meals – if I had, they would have turned their noses up at the food. If I told my daughter, these patties contained beetroot, she would have flat out refused to eat them.
Ambre (my daughter) had a couple, took them to the study to eat, then came back and asked if she could have more because they were delicious.. I still haven’t told her, they contain a lot of beetroot. 😀
Making Sweet potato, beetroot and lentil burgers is really easy. I think anyone could make them. The bonus is these are high in protein, low in carbs and make a healthy dinner / lunch or snack.
Let’s Put this together ..
You only need a few ingredients for this dish. Most are probably already in your pantry. If you don’t have fresh lentils, just used canned – although you lose a bit of the fresh lentil flavour, but they would still taste good.
Boil the sweet potato until soft, boil the lentils until they are soft. In a separate saucepan, fry off the onions, garlic, spices, Hov’s Kitchen Beetroot Relish and the spinach.
In a separate bowl, add the flour and the breadcrumbs. Once the Beetroot mixture is ready, add this to the bowl. Once the sweet potato and lentils have softened, add them together and mash them. Then add it to the bowl. Give it a good mix until everything is well combined. At this stage, add salt and pepper to your liking.
Once everything has been well combined, with clean hands roll the mixture into small balls to make the patties and lay them out on a floured surface.
Add Olive oil to a large saucepan, and cook the patties in batches. They only need 3 minutes each side and they’re done and ready to be served.
Easy as that .. Serve with a wedge of lemon and a nice salad.
Sweet Potato, Beetroot and Lentil Patties
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Brown or Green lentils
- 2 Cups Vegetable broth
- 1 Large Sweet Potato Peeled and Cubed
- 1 large Brown Onion Finely diced
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 Jar Hov's Kitchen Beetroot Relish
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 good handful baby spinach
- In a pot, bring to the boil of the vegetable stock and add the lentils – cook until they soften. (Around 15 minutes) In another pot add the cubed sweet potato and add water – bring to the boil until softened. (Around 10 minutes)
- In a saucepan, add a tbsp of olive oil and cook the onion, garlic until softened. Add the spices, Hov's Kitchen Beetroot Relish and the spinach. When the spinach has welted, take off the heat.
- In a large bowl, add the breadcrumbs, plain flour and the cooked onion, beetroot mixture. Give it a good stir.
- Once the sweet potato and the lentils have softened, drain the water and mash the sweet potato and lentils together. Then add to the bowl with the Beetroot mixture and give it a good stir either with clean hands or with a stainless steel spoon. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- With clean hands, roll the mixture into small balls to make the patties and lay them on a floured surface. The mixture should make around 20 patties.
- In a large saucepan – add the olive oil and when hot – cook the patties in batches . 3 minutes each side. Serve with a nice salad and a wedge of lemon.