Meatless Monday is back on a Monday! I had a large eggplant I needed to use quickly as I could see it was getting a little bit sad, so I decided to make the family a Vegan Eggplant Casserole.
This recipe is super simple and easy enough for anyone to make. All up it takes just over an hour but 30 minutes of that is the eggplant cooking away on it’s own in the oven. I gave this dish a bit of oomph using Hov’s Kitchens Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce. You can feel the heat from the sauce but it won’t blow your head off and it’s still mild enough for the kids to enjoy.
This Vegan Eggplant Casserole is hearty, flavoursome and just delicious. Feel free to serve it with rice, Roti or just some crusty bread. I had it on it’s own and that was enough for me, but the rest of the family paired it with the crusty bread.
Let’s Make Vegan Eggplant Casserole!
Start by heating your oven to 200C / 180C fan. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut the top off the eggplant and lay it on the baking tray. I added a little bit of salt and oil to the top of it. Then bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Whilst the eggplant is baking away – get the other ingredients ready. Chop up the onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini, capsicums and tomatoes. Set Aside. Measure the white wine and Hov’s Kitchens Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce. Almost all set to start cooking this delicious casserole.
Once the eggplant has been in the oven for 30 minutes, take out the eggplant but leave the oven on. You are going to need it again. Chop the eggplant into chunks and set aside.
In a medium sized saucepan, heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, zucchini, capsicum and carrot. Give it a good stir and cook for around 5 minutes until they start to soften.
Once the veggies have softened, add the chopped eggplant, tomatoes, white wine, Hov’s Kitchens Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce and a pinch of salt. Keep stirring and bring to the boil. Then turn down and simmer for 10 minutes.
After simmering for 10 minutes, grab the stick mixer and give the casserole a bit of a whizz – not too much because you still want it quite chunky. Then pour the mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Top with some jalapeno’s and thyme.
Vegan Eggplant Casserole
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Eggplant or 2 small eggplants
- 4 garlic minced
- 1 Red Capsicum Chopped
- 1 Green Capsicum chopped
- 1/2 Zucchini Chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes Roughly chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1/2 cup Hov's Kitchens Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce
- 4 tbsp white wine
- Cut the top off the eggplant and on a baking tray lined with baking paper, bake the eggplant at 200C for 30 minutes.
- Once the eggplant has cooked, keep the oven on and cut the eggplant into chunks.
- In a medium sized pot, add the olive oil and cook the onion, garlic, zucchini, carrot and capsicums. When they have softened a little, add the eggplant and give it a good stir.
- Add the wine and Hov's Kitchens Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce and the tomatoes. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- With a stick mixer give the vegetables a bit of a whizz, not too much as you still want it quite chunky.
- Add the mixture to a casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.