It’s Monday! That means another Meatless Monday recipe. It’s soup weather right now, the day’s are cold, nights really cold and the mornings are so cold you don’t want to get out of bed! Jalapeno Soup will hit the spot.
On these chilly days, a good soup and buttered crusty bread really warms you up. Complete comfort.
I was never really a soup person until a few years ago when I was the head chef in a retirement village and had to make soup every day. I didn’t stay in that job for long, the company I worked for .. well .. I have no nice words about them or who they put in charge. However, I came away being somewhat the soup queen haha .. The residents always loved the soups I made and I came to appreciate and like soup more than I had previously.
Let’s make some Jalapeno Soup
This soup is a bit spicy, so if you don’t want that much spice instead of adding 4 jalapeno’s – just add 2. You will still get the jalapeno hit from using Hov’s Kitchen’s Jalapeno Sauce.
This soup is super simple and easy to make. It only takes 15 minutes, so perfect for that weeknight dinner. Creamy, hearty comfort food for the soul.
Just put the jalapeno’s, onion, garlic, carrots in the food processor until chopped finely. Put into a pot and saute until the vegetables are soft. Then add Hov’s Jalapeno Sauce and give it a good stir.
Then stir in the tomatoes and mushrooms. Add the Nuttelex and then sprinkle the flour on top. Give it a good stir until it’s well combined.
Add the stock and coconut milk and salt/pepper. Let it simmer for around 10 minutes. Then with the stick blender, give it a good whizz.
Ready to go – serve with some crusty buttered bread.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Large Green Jalapeno’s
- 1/2 Cup Hov’s Jalapeno Sauce
- 2 Carrots Roughly chopped
- 1 large Brown Onion Roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- 2 tbsp Nuttelex or butter if not going vegan
- 2 Cups Vegan Chicken Stock (massel)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut milk
- 1 can Chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Mushrooms sliced
- Salt and pepper
- In a processor, add the jalapeno’s, onion, carrot, garlic and blitz until fine.
- In a medium sized pot, add the olive oil and heat. Once hot, add the chopped vegetables from the processor.
- Sautee for a few minutes, until soft, then add Hov’s Jalapeno Sauce and give it a good stir. Add the tomatoes and mushrooms and combine.
- Add the nuttelex (or butter) and sprinkle the flour on top. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Add the coconut milk and let simmer for around 8-10 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, blend until the soup is smooth. Add salt and pepper to your liking.