It’s that time of the week again. Meatless Monday! I needed something quick and easy for tonight, as I have been so busy as of late, that I have had no time to even scratch myself! Vegan Mushroom Wellington is easy, quick and is also full of vegetables.
This dish is bursting with flavour and one can not simply just have one slice – no, seconds or thirds is what usually happens when I make this meal for dinner.
Vegan Mushroom Wellington, is also great for formal dinners and at Christmas dinners for those wanting a meat free but beautiful delicious meal.
Let’s make Vegan Mushroom Wellington
Gather your ingredients together and with this dish, the food processor is your friend. For a quick and easy dinner, throw all the ingredients into the food processor until well combined. Turn the oven onto 200C and line a large tray with baking paper. Boil the water and add lentils – cook for 10-15 minutes until the lentils have softened.
Get a thawed sheet of puff pastry and spoon the mushroom mixture down the middle of the pastry. Brush some soy milk on the edges of the pastry and roll and tuck the pastry over the mushroom mixture.
There is enough mixture to make 4 mushroom wellington’s which you can freeze for another time.
Brush the top of the mushroom wellington with some soy milk and pop into the oven for 30-35 minutes.
Once the pastry has browned, it’s ready to go. Serve with a nice salad or some steamed green beans.
Vegan Mushroom Wellington
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 massel chicken stock cube
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots peeled
- 1 zucchini
- 700 g button mushrooms
- 100 g spinach
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Hov's Kitchen Chipotle sauce
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 4 puff pastry sheets
- throw the mushrooms, garlic, onion, zucchini, spinach and carrot in a processor – process until fully combined
- In a pot, bring to the boil the water with the Massel chicken stock. Add the lentils and boil for around 10 to 15 minutes or until the lentils have softened.
- In a large bowl, add the processed vegetables, chipotle sauce, cooked lentils and salt and pepper and mix to combine
- Turn the oven onto 200C
- Thaw out the puff pastry
- Lay out a sheet of puff pastry and with a spoon, scoop the mushroom mix onto the pastry down the middle. Brush the sides with a bit of soy milk and fold the pastry over the mushroom mixture.
- Repeat with the other 3 sheets of pastry and mushroom mixture.
- On a tray lined with baking paper, add the mushroom wellington's – brush over the top with soy milk and put in the oven for 35 minutes.
- serve with a nice salad or steamed beans.