It’s that time of the week again. Meatless Monday! These vegan spinach and chickpea sausage rolls are so morish and were gobbled up in less than an hour! I served them with Hov’s Kitchens Chipotle Sauce just to add that bit of spice.
These are great for lunch, a snack and if you’re like me, I had them for dinner with a salad. The kids will love them and not even realise they are vegan spinach and chickpea sausage rolls! They won’t care either because they are delicious.
With a combination of spinach, chickpeas, red kidney beans, zucchini, corn flakes, panko breadcrumbs and flaky pastry, and Hov’s Kitchens Hungarian Tomato Relish. Having a healthy treat never tasted so good!
Let’s make some vegan tasty treats.
Vegan Spinach and Chickpea Sausage Rolls.
Start by getting your ingredients ready, in the recipe I wrote a can of chickpeas because that is probably what you would have in the panty. I used fresh that I had cooked earlier, I always use fresh chickpeas because we make our own hummus. However, to make it easier for the home cook grab a tin of chickpeas and wash them under cold water.
With the red kidney beans, also wash them under cold water. You want to wash the brine off. You will need 150g of spinach, 1/2 a zucchini, 1 onion, 4 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of Nutritional yeast (I use Lotus Savoury Yeast Flakes).
I used 1/2 a cup of Hov’s Kitchens Hungarian Tomato Relish because the flavours in that relish are amazing and tooting my own horn, better than any other tomato relish out in the market. This will add a heap of flavour to your Vegan spinach and chickpea sausage rolls.
You will need some crushed corn flakes and Panko breadcrumbs too! A bit of salt and pepper and that’s it for the filling. Put all that into the food processor and give it a good whiz until everything is well combined.
The rest is easy peasy ..
In a large bowl, scoop out your mixture and set aside. Turn the oven on to 220C and let it warm up. Line a large flat baking tray with baking paper. Cut the sheets of pastry in half and with a pastry brush, brush the edges of the pastry with cashew milk.
Spoon the mixture down the middle of the pastry. Fold the ends in and wrap into a roll. Repeat this process until you have used all your mixture and pastry.
Lay the pastry rolls onto the baking tray. Brush with cashew milk and sprinkle some sesame seeds over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry has cooked and browned.
Vegan Spinach and Chickpea Sausage Rolls
- Food Processor
- 1 can chickpeas washed
- 1 can red kidney beans washed
- 150 g spinach
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2 cup Hov's Kitchens Hungarian Tomato Relish
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 Onion
- 1/3 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1/3 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 sheets of Puff Pastry cut in half
- 4 tbsp almond or cashew milk
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- In the food processor add all the ingredients except for the pastry, sesame seeds and cashew milk.Process the ingredients until it is well combined. Scoop out into a large bowl.
- Turn the oven onto 220C and line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the sheets of pastry in half and with a pastry brush, brush the edges of the pastry with cashew milk.
- Spoon the mixture down the middle of the pastry. Fold the ends in and wrap into a roll. Repeat until all the pastry has been used.
- Lay the pastry rolls onto the baking tray. Brush with cashew milk and sprinkle some sesame seeds over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the pastry has browned.